- In 1952, the United States experienced its largest outbreak of polio with about 20,000 cases.
- The availability of the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) in 1955 eradicated the disease in the US
- A few weeks ago, however, the New York State Department of Health alerted community members that a person in Rockland County tested positive for polio.
- On August 12, health officials also reported finding evidence of poliovirus in New York City’s wastewater samples.
- United Kingdom health officials recently announced the discovery of the poliovirus in two areas of London.
- Many people now have questions on how this might affect the health of everyone in the US Here are some things you need to know, courtesy of medical experts.
In the 1950s, the United States experienced a large